Wednesday, July 29, 2015

RetroSketch Challenge Entry (RS#175)

One of the best ways I get inspiration is by surfing the web for challenges.  There are challenges of all kinds out there...some that only use certain colors, some that only use a certain brand of products or a specific sketch, some that even mandate a theme.  It's a great springboard if you're feeling crafty but not sure where to jump in.  Today, my inspiration came from the lovely artists over at RetroSketches.  

Below is the original sketch.  I took it pretty literally, as you can see.  I chose to keep it simple by eliminating the twine/ribbon, and using solid colors and minimal embellishments.  I used one of my favorite color combos (Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise, Rose Red, So Saffron, and Pumpkin Pie). I also decided to use simple star punches as my accent, a whimsical sentiment, and a big, happy polka dotted embossing folder to create a little texture. 

You should go check out their website to see all the cool submissions and to check out past sketches as well!

Here is an alternate card I made.  Similar, but a bit simpler (no embossing, no orange layer behind the sentiment) but I did use my Itty Bitty Epoxy Accents Epoxy Stickers to add a little dimension and shine to the stars. Those were a gift from my friend, and upline, Dawn Olchefske.  Thank you, Dawn!






For a complete list of products to make the two cards above, see below:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

2 comments:

  1. Love your take on the sketch...one of my fav embossing folders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suoer cute! Love the embossing and great take on this weeks sketch! Thank you so much for playing along with us as Retro Sketches!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover